Before jumping to a “Digital Content” definition – let’s understand what the “content” itself is.
Surprisingly, though it seems so obvious, the answer to the question varies from person to person. It is defined differently in different areas and societies. It appears that Content is a vague kind of concept.
Yet, the majority agrees that Content should be related to following concepts:
- Content is Information. It may be practical, functional, tactical or any kind of useful information
- Content is Experience. It may be useful, purposeful, etc.
- Content is anything that anyone would consider as content
So, defining the meaning of content could not be defined precisely, but it seems that the last defining bullet point appears to be the most acceptable answer – Content is anything that anyone would consider as content
Nowadays you can’t move without stumbling upon “digital content”. It surrounds us literally 24/7. According to Wikipedia, Digital content is any content that exists in the form of digital data. Digital content comes in many forms, from text and audio and videos files, to programs, apps, graphics, animations, and images.
Once again, the dispute around the definition of “digital Content” varies from source to source but one thing is clear – it is any content that can be expressed in the form of digital data, which actually means – everything.
Why does it matter?
Until recently Content, Digital Content and especially Digital Content Management Systems were notions relevant only to those who deal with content on daily basis, and that refers mainly to enterprise content management (ECM) and web content management (WCM).
So why it is so important to marketers, those who deal with content on a daily basis?
The following reasons explain, briefly, why good content is important from the only perspective that matters – their clients/readers:
- Good content makes customers feel good about the brand and it propels them to take actions, from a survey provided by TMG Custom Media & Marketing Tech Blog, 61% of consumerssaid that they feel better about a company that delivers custom content on a consistent basis.
- Good content is what consumers prefer – 7 out of 10 customers prefer to learn about a company or brand via article type content instead of advertisements.
- Good content is what consumers value – 90%of consumers said that they find custom content useful in one way, or another.
As the statistics show, there is no doubt that custom content, when providing value to customers, is of great use to readers who are trying to decide on the product or service they want to buy.
Given the above and the fact that marketers realized, on the basis of research, what motivates us as consumers, we must conclude that good content is primarily valuable to us as content users.
Can you imagine a life with no good content, or even no content at all?
Content is what shapes our personality, our worldview. Through content we express ourselves and also perceive the environment in which we live. For a long time now, content has not been what we are trying to sell, content is what fills our lives with meaning.
Content is no longer the domain of sales people – content, especially personal content, is an integral part of our identity as human beings. What is left is just to manage the content that surrounds us to serve us in every event in our lives in an essential way.
The following Personal Digital Content application FromX should be a useful tool to deal with content we stumble upon.
Without going into the functions offered by the app, above, we will highlight only those aspects that have been focused:
- FromX offers a complete set of tools to deal with content we stumble upon on daily basis
- FromX is completely customizable – kind of a DIY app
- FromX offers complete user control over all stages of content consumption – from searching content online to storing it, reusing it, and sharing it
- FromX redefines the phone usage related to overall content consumption as it bridges the gap between the way users think, to the way they act, are present online or just deal with their content.
- FromX presents the ultimate solution for complete personal content management as it ensures that content which matters to the user won’t ever be lost.